When it comes to siding, consumers have many options to choose from for their properties. Which option is best for you? Consider the following pros and cons of wood siding to determine if this material would be the right solution for your setting and needs.
Pros of wood siding
- Variety: Wood siding offers flexibility for design options. You can stain or paint it any color or finish you desire. Create the look and feel you want with the hues of your choice.
- Sustainability: Wood siding offers an option that is more environmentally friendly than some other materials. During manufacturing, it does not pollute the surroundings, plus it is biodegradable. For those who want an eco-friendly option, this renewable resource is a good choice.
- Durability: Wood siding can last for decades when properly maintained. If you want a solution that will not require replacement anytime in the near future, wood siding is an ideal choice.
- Value: Adding wood siding to a home can increase the property’s value. This material is considered high-end siding, so if you ever want to sell your home, choosing wood siding can help boost its resale price.
- Style: Using wood siding, you can transform the look of a home to create an exterior that best suits your lifestyle. Styles include shake, tongue and groove, shingle and more. Choose your favorite style to change the look of your home and enhance its appeal.
Cons of wood siding
- Maintenance: Wood siding requires significant maintenance to keep it looking sharp. You may need to re-stain the wood every two or three years or repaint every four to five years.
- Pests: Anytime you choose a wood material, there is a risk of termite infestation. If you install wood siding, you should have it inspected each year to prevent infestation and the damage these pests can cause.
- Cost: Compared to some other options, wood siding can be more expensive. However, the cost is largely determined by which style of wood siding you choose.
- Repairs: If your wood siding suffers any damage, it must be repaired right away. A cracked board or rotted piece should be replaced immediately, because it can allow moisture into the home, which will cause further damage.
- Flammability: Some wood siding has a poor flame spread fire rating. This can increase the risk of fire damage as well as increase the cost of insurance.
- Cleaning: In addition to regular maintenance, wood siding must also be cleaned annually. Using a soft-bristle brush, property owners should remove dirt and mildew buildup each year to properly maintain the wood.
Wes-Kan Siding Windows & Doors is your go-to home improvement wholesaler. We provide affordable and top-quality wood siding, doors, windows, garage doors, awnings and patio covers for any budget. To learn more about wood siding and the options available for your property, contact our team. We’ve been serving the area since 1997, and we would love to make you the next in a long line of satisfied customers. Reach our wood siding experts today at 620-227-9999.
Categorised in: Siding Materials