Like almost every aspect of a home, garage doors in Dodge City, KS need to be inspected and maintained throughout the year to keep up appearances and ensure proper functionality. The good news is that homeowners can accomplish many of these tasks themselves. Continue reading to learn the most common maintenance tasks for your garage door:
- Look and listen: Observing your garage door as it opens and closes is the easiest bit of preventative maintenance you can perform. A properly-functioning door shouldn’t shake while it’s operating or make any grinding or squealing noises. Additionally, both sides of the door should be symmetrical.
- Tighten up the hardware: On average, a garage door opens and closes more than 1,000 times per year! As you can imagine, all of that movement and vibration loosens the hardware over time. Take a few minutes to inspect all of the roller brackets and bolts and tighten them up with a socket wrench if they’re loose.
- Test the balance: An imbalanced garage door makes the opener work harder than it has to, which reduces its lifespan. To test the balance, disconnect the opener and manually raise the door halfway up. If the door doesn’t stay up, there’s a problem with the springs. Since adjusting the springs can be dangerous, we recommend bringing in the pros to handle this job.
- Replace the weatherstripping: The rubber seal at the bottom of your door is responsible for keeping the elements out and keeping your garage comfortable throughout the year. Over time, the rubber weatherstripping on garage doors in Dodge City, KS may start to crack or fall off, which means you’ll need to replace it. Fortunately, weatherstripping is available at any hardware store and is easy to replace.
- Inspect and replace the rollers: Whether they’re made of steel or nylon, you should inspect your rollers for any signs of damage twice a year. Every seven years, we advise replacing these rollers altogether, even if they don’t seem to show any signs of damage. Keeping your rollers fresh ensures your door opens and closes without a hitch.
- Lubricate the moving parts: Speaking of opening and closing without a hitch, be sure to lubricate all the moving parts of your door. Use white lithium grease on the opener’s chain and coat the overhead springs with a spray lubricant. This chore should be done once a year or whenever you hear squeaking noises.
- Inspect the door itself: You can’t neglect the actual door! Check your garage door for any rust, corrosion, cracks or water damage, as these problems will only worsen over time. Additionally, make a habit of washing your door down with water and a mild all-purpose cleaner.
Choose us if you need a new door
Even with proper maintenance, garage doors in Dodge City, KS don’t last forever. When it’s time to buy a new door, make sure you choose Wes-Kan Siding Windows & Doors. As a locally owned and operated company, we’re open during these trying times to meet the needs of all our customers. Give us a call today to set up an appointment and learn more about all of your garage door options.
Categorised in: Garage Doors