How Do Temperature Swings Affect Old Vinyl Siding in Dodge City, KS?
With distinct seasons comes wear and tear on your vinyl siding. Vinyl siding is great for giving your home color, character and definition, but it’s also susceptible to weather-related damage over the years. If you’ve found your home’s vinyl siding in Dodge City, KS is looking a little worse for the wear, read on to find out how extreme heat and cold can take its toll. It goes back to elementary school science: heat causes materials to expand, and cold temperatures cause them to contract. When a material has to do this year after year, eventually it will show damage, such as the following:
- Cracking: When the cold air hits your vinyl, it contracts—but when the sun hits it, even in the dead of winter, it starts to expand. If you’re starting to hear popping sounds, it might not be a rodent invasion. It’s likely your vinyl siding is cracking.
- Warping or buckling: If your contractor didn’t do a good job when installing your vinyl siding, you might notice warping and buckling as the temperatures rise and fall dramatically. Having the vinyl nailed too tightly to the wall is the main cause of this problem.
- Melting: Don’t worry, the sun alone won’t cause your vinyl siding to melt. Otherwise, no one in Kansas would use vinyl siding. The problem happens when windows are involved. The reflections from the glass reflect and magnify the sun’s rays, which can cause your vinyl siding to melt. Anything over 165 degrees Fahrenheit is likely to damage your vinyl siding.
- Brittleness: When the extreme cold hits, your vinyl siding will contract, and that can make it brittle. Brittle vinyl is far more likely to crack, especially when you factor in strong winds or children playing outside—they’re both sources of impact, which will damage your already-fragile vinyl siding in Dodge City, KS.
- Overall shorter lifespan: In general, plastics—including vinyl—are prone to breakage. Vinyl siding is fairly durable, as its chemical makeup won’t easily break down, but the extreme temperature changes will weaken its structure. It’s also less sustainable, which is a concern for many of today’s more climate-conscious homeowners. Although vinyl siding is a great option for many homeowners, you might choose to “go green” with your siding. Be sure to ask one of our friendly representatives about alternatives to vinyl when you’re in the market for siding replacement.
Vinyl siding in Dodge City, KS
Interested in seeing all of the different styles we have to offer you when it comes to siding? Stop by our showroom today and browse our vinyl, wood, stone and brick varieties. Wes-Kan Siding Windows & Doors is a wholesale provider of home improvement materials, including windows, doors, siding, awnings, garage doors, patio covers and more. We’re a small business focused on individual customer attention. Why risk a stranger coming into your home when you can have our trusted local team take care of your needs? Stop by our showroom or call us today to learn more.
Categorised in: Siding Materials